Wednesday, March 07, 2007

When is a Christmas Cactus not a cactus?

My Christmas Cactus is blooming and it's March. Just so bloody typical. In December it looked semi-dead and now it's producing flowers like its attempting to make up for lost time.

When all the other cactus (or cacti?) in the world give their all in December, my plant decides to belatedly welcome the holidays three months later.

Actually and according to plant experts, they're (Christmas Cactus) not really members of the cactus family that live in arid conditions but are raised in a tropical environment.

Go know! I've been treating them like prickly one's watering them perhaps every three weeks or once a month. Sometimes less.

I could be a plant torturer!

According to a plant site that focuses on the care of this plant, "...the key to getting Christmas cactus to flower during the holiday season, is the proper light exposure, correct temperatures and limited watering. So during the fall months, the Christmas cactus should be placed in a spot where it receives indoor indirect bright light during the daylight hours but total darkness at night."

I'm okay in as far as the watering part is concerned and CC is sitting on a bookcase in front of the window where it receives ample and direct sunlight.

So far, so good. One point for me.

At night time I make a point of closing the blinds for privacy but the plant benefits too and that's alright. Two more points in my favor.

The site also advises Christmas Cactus owners that the plant should not be placed near a door that opens and closes at night and to keep it away from drafts and heating ducts. Gimme a break! I will not live my live based on the whims of a plant that doesn't act normally! Then again neither does its caregiver but that as they say, is another whole story. This darn plant receives better care than many members of the family and chooses to defy logic by blooming on St. Paddy's Day.

I'm toying with the idea of repotting the plant. A little plant shake up now and then might bring it to its senses. Or not.

http://www.humeseeds.com/xmasccts.htm for some help dealing with errant Christmas Cactus.

No comments: