Monday, May 22, 2006

DEAR MOTHER NATURE...I'M REALLY UPSET WITH YOU!

Dear Mother Nature,

I'm writing to you today in near desperation. I know that this may seem like an unorthodox method in which to communicate with such an omnificent power, but desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Y'see Mom...Mother N - Mother Nature (don't wanna be disrespectful at this point since I'm asking for a favor) it has been raining daily here in Montreal for almost two weeks now. The fact that it's morally depressing is a given but it's about the tomato plant I bought two weeks ago. It's only one small plant growing in a large patio pot on the back sun deck (I use that term loosely given the amount of sun that we've received of late) but to me it represents the hope and dream of sinking my teeth into a blemishless, pink beefsteak tomato. Add a sprinkle of salt and it's heaven here on earth.

Okay. Forget the blemishless and I'll settle for a fully-ripe tomato. Okay. A tomato, period.

Thing is 'MN' - the blurb on the plastic information blurb supplied with the plant indicates that it takes 78 days from the day of planting for the tomatoes to be ripe and ready for eating. Given the fact that there has been a 2-week delay already due to the lack of sun - I'm in biggg trouble. If I had read the small print accompanying that beautiful colored photo of huge pink tomatoes on the vine, I would have realized that given our "normal" growing period of 3-4 months in a good year, this was not a wisest choice of species. Factor in the variety of insects that enjoy eating tomatoes 'al fresco' and it's an unachievable dream at best.

So now you understand the rationale behind my communicating with you: desperation. Whad'ya think, Mom? Can you help? It won't be a big effort on your part. I'll even settle for three days of pure, unadulturated sunshine. I mean - I don't wanna be greedy or anything.

With visions of tomatoes dancing in my head,

Eleanor

No comments: